World Jenny’s Day 2024
Safari Cycle Fundraiser
YOUR INVITATION TO JOIN THE
2024 WORLD JENNY’S DAY SAFARI CYCLE FUNDRAISER RIDE
– FROM KILIMANJARO TO KENYA COAST – 18-24 August 2024 –
HAVE SUITCASE WILL TRAVEL TO KENYA!
Are you ready for an unforgettable BICYCLE safari adventure ?
From near Kilimanjaro, through to Tsavo, and all the way to the white beach of Watamu, you’ll see breathtaking landscapes and incredible wildlife up close!
Join us in Kenya for a 6-day cycle safari with experienced guides and backup vehicles.
- 5 x half days on the road on your bike passing through the TSAVO EcoSystem (6 days in all)
- Distances to suit you
- Afternoons at your leisure to chill, with evening Game/Wildlife Drive & Sundowners
- Camp Fire 🔥 Stories about the Day’s Adventures
Distances to suit You and Yours …
From 20 to 30km Morning Rides
40 – 60km Rides (the norm)
80km longer morning rides on some days, for those who choose/need to ride further.
Afternoons at rest followed by 5pm Game Drives and 6pm Sundowners
You don’t have to be a Cyclist to join this Safari
Supporters and well-wishers / spouses and friends can come along as well – to also help raise funds + enjoy the the adventure & enjoy making special memories on Safari
You can choose when and how long you want to cycle each day. Back-up Vehicles are there to support You.
Medals up for grabs
If you are able to ride your bike around 60km per day for days, you earn a Gold Medal.
This is a comfortable distance to ride between 7am and lunch time each day, finishing sometimes for a late lunch.
Average 40km per day, some 200km in 5 days for you to be awarded a Silver Medal.
Each day you can build up a little credit of Km towards your goal, when or if the time allows.
Youngsters or those not feeling at their fittest can cycle just 20km a day over 5 days which makes of 100km if you’d like to be awarded a Bronze Medal.
THE BUTTERFLY FLOATING TROPHY
Handcrafted Especially for World Jenny’s Day Cycle Safaris
Will YOU be the recipient of the 2024 Floating Butterfly Trophy?
This Trophy will be awarded to the highest fundraiser to raise funds for World Jenny’s Day 2024 over and above the basic £500 included in the participation fee.
Cycle Safari Guides
The Safari is run by Kenyan Professional Safari Guides, Chris & Janine Angell
– with 34 years of Cycling Safari experience in 7 African countries, as well as the UAE/Oman & Australia.
They cycle in safe areas mainly amongst the plains’ game.
More information and itinerary overview
Cost for the 6 Day Safari Cycle Ride is £1750.
£500 goes towards World Jenny’s Day and £1250 goes towards to the support of the ride, including your Twin Sharing Accommodation and Meals.
– Single supplements available most nights (subject to you liaising in advance).
– When cycling through a National Park, Armed Rangers join the Support Team.
- Transfer from Voi to Ziwani Lodge, if travelling on 18 August by SGR Train from Nairobi to Voi.
- 6 Days Cycling Tsavo West & East Game Park through to a Tropical Kenyan Beach.
Experienced Guide and Team with Back-Up Vehicles.
- Refreshment Stops – Water every 10km & Snacks to replenish every 30km.
- Bicycle provided if required or ideally bring your own.
- 6 Nights in Safari Lodges/Luxury Camps and Coast Hotel – in shared twins.
- Free Collection and transfer to Ziwani for noon arrival SGR Passengers from Nairobi to Voi on 18 August.
- Airfares to/from Kenya
- Transport to Ziwani Camp at start of Safari Cycle on 18 August (unless you travel by SGR Train from Nairobi to Voi – Noon arrival Voi)
- Pre-booked E-Bike at £300 for 6 days
- Transport after completion of Safari at Watamu Beach on 24 August
- Tsavo National Park Entrance Fee
- AMREF Flying Doctor – compulsory & recommended $35
Opportunity to Expand Your Safari :
- Extend your trip of a life time Safari through to other parts of East Africa either before or after the Cycle Ride – planned through WJD’s collaborators Safari-Guru
Perhaps You’d Like to Experience More of East Africa Either Before or After Your Safari Cycle Ride?
Explore Safari Guru’s meticulously planned World Jenny’s Day safaris, the perfect itinerary addition to extend your stay and experience vibrant culture, breathtaking scenery and unparalleled wildlife experiences.
Adding a Safari to World Jenny’s Day Safari Cycle Fundraiser Ride
Imagine combining the adrenaline rush of cycling with the serenity of a safari. In conjunction with World Jenny’s Day, Safari Guru offers customisable packages that seamlessly integrate both experiences, allowing you to maximise your time in Kenya, Tanzania, or both. Whether you opt for a single destination or an extended safari excursion, there’s something for everyone.
ALL THE NEWS ABOUT THE (2023)SAFARI CYCLE RIDE
Karen Darke MBE joined us in 2023
Karen Darke – British Gold Paralympian Hand-Cyclist (and World Jenny’s Day Ambassador) and her team of friends and filmmakers joined us in last year’s ride.
What an amazing lady!
When she started off on the ride, all the seasoned backup vehicle staff took one look at her road bike and shook their heads, adamant that her “Un-Africanised” road bike/trike would not get her very far !
Not only did she manage to get through some very challenging red sand within minutes of starting, but Karen without any hesitation at any time during the 6 days, finished the whole +/-400km course along with everybody else who was participating – despite having to deal with some challenging chaffing on her leg. Within no time she and her team had made a plan, dealt with the wound and adjusted her seating. What an inspiration she was – she definitely inspired all the participants, some of whom had planned to only ride short distances – to complete the entire 400km course! You can see the sense of amazement on her face in the picture below, just as she had reached her destination.
Undaunted, Karen and her companions and film crew, along with Steve Bates MBE (British Gold Paralympic Cyclist) then went on to Tanzania to scale Mt. Kilimanjaro, with Karen hand-pedaling up on a custom-made Ice-Trike!
Karen used this part of her adventure to further support World Jenny’s Day as well as Charity – VOSAP (Voice of Specially Abled People).
And once again, with their undaunted spirit, both Karen and Kevin made it up to the summit.
HUGE RESPECT !
KIM CHOWN – Awarded the prestigious 2023 World Jenny’s Day Floating Butterfly Trophy
On our last evening in Watamu, Kim was recognised for her outstanding input in being the top fundraiser for World Jenny’s Day for 2023.
Here’s Kim’s account of what participating in this ride meant to her …
“What a Wonderful & Very Memorable Experience.
As novice cyclists we were a little anxious before embarking on this adventure. However we need not have worried because somehow they seemed to cater for cyclists of literally all abilities. The sense of camaraderie through a shared physical experience like this was amazing.
On top of that the accommodations and the food were fantastic including the pop up snack tables provided by the support crew at regular intervals throughout each day’s ride.
The organisation overall was second to none and to top it all it was all in aid of an extremely worthwhile cause. Through group participation, we have created wonderful memories that will remain with us for life.”
Kim and Jonathon Chown, UK